Sunday, July 21, 2013

Conversation

Saturday a mission team member named Mark and I had a great conversation with a woman. We had been going down the street doing door to door evangelism with little to no luck of talking to people. Mark spotted a pink house with the door open so we walked over to it and I rang the doorbell. A short woman came to the door and when she asked what we wanted, I replied that I was in Costa Rica studying Spanish and would like to practice. She immediately grinned and ushered us into her home and began to talk. She had apparently been studying English and wanted some gringos to practice on.  I honestly did not plan to say anything about being a student or making small talk. I think it was the Holy Spirit guiding my words so that I could speak with this woman. We talked about learning another language for about ten minutes then I asked her about the Costa Rican culture. She told me several things that Ticos really care about then she said that God was really important to them.


I saw my chance and asked if I could practice my vocabulary concerning religion. I then asked her what she thought she had to do to gain salvation. She replied that she had to believe in Jesus, the Holy Spirit, God the Father, and Mary. So I asked her if she was catholic and she said she was a different catholic. She explained that she did not believe in the Pope and the saints because she studied the Bible and found no mention of praying to them. At that point we came clean and said we were Christian and did believe in Mary. I asked her where she found in the Bible that Mary was the mother of God and she had no answer. Then we asked her if she believed Mary was perfect and she did. So I showed her Luke 1:47 where Mary says that God is her savior. The woman replied that it was a controversy and refused to yield on Mary. However she has agreed to have a bible study in her house now! We will continue to minister to her and pray that her eyes be opened that her salvation can only come from Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment