Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Funny story

This past week I had a great time with the mission team. One memory though stands out in my mind. On Wednesday I believe, it was raining so instead of doing door to door evangelism as we had been doing, the mission team and translators went to a nearby mall to witness. In my group I was assigned a man named Gideon and another man named Steve. The Folks' son Benjamin was with us also. Gideon is in his eighties and he has a hilarious sense of humor. So we walk into the mall and we decide to go upstairs. So I lead my group toward the escalator. We approached the escalator from behind it. I got on and turned around to make sure that all my team members were still with me. As I watched Gideon tried to get on the escalator. As he was walking around the escalator to get to the front he was so close to the wall that his hips were brushing along side of it.
I don't think he knew that the hand rails on escalators move because as he went around the rails to get on the escalator he leaned on the rails. A look of shock and fear came to his face and he let out a grunt then he was riding the escalator rail up to the next floor. That's right, this eighty something was riding an escalator rail up to the next floor. After he realized what was happening he sat and said, "all right now, guess I'll go up like this." He honestly seemed content to ride that way. Steve and I immediately helped him off the rail as there was a wall extending out of the second floor that he would have run into. Later on bus several people laughed so hard they cried as we recounted the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment