Monday, July 8, 2013

Cool cultural thing

Jacob and I were invited Saturday to go to a wedding celebration. It started at about seven pm. I am not sure what the name of the celebration was but it occurs for all weddings here. The celebration takes place a week before the actual wedding. Jacob and I were invited by a member of one of the bible studies, the groom. We were the first to arrive along with Jacob's helper Enrique and his family. Everyone else arrived on Tico time, about a half hour late. Once families started to arrive the hosts began distributing food and drinks. The groom works as a part time DJ I believe, he had all his equipment and was playing Christian Latino hip hop. 
I talked with Enrique and tried to learn all I could about the customs of the party as I knew Jacob and I would have to leave early to go be with the mission team. At some point during the party, and the time was unknown, a mariachi band would show up and knock three times on the door. They would play a couple songs then the groom would join them and sing a romantic song to his bride. Unfortunately Jacob and I had to leave before they arrived but we enjoyed the festivities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment