Thursday, July 2, 2009

Robbery

Dawn and I were walking home from taking the girls and Gabriel to school this morning for the summer camp program. We started to walk through a park that is our usual path going to and from school. Dawn saw a man with a hood and a baseball cap standing in the park and said to me, "Let's go straight--he doesn't look good." She just had a strong instinct that something was not right. So we walked straight instead of cutting through. I also saw a man, using a laptop, sitting on the edge of the street where we would have exited the park . A couple of people had previously warned him that he should not sit out there with a computer.

So we walked straight and turned left at the corner. That put us in the direction of the man with the computer. I then saw the man with the cap start walking, with a purpose, towards Dawn and me and the man with the computer. I touched Dawn on the arm and said let's turn around. I then saw he had pulled out a pistol. I yelled, "RUN" (which we did). The man with the gun grabbed the computer and fortunately started to run in the opposite direction. We were only 20 yards away from the robbery. The man who was sitting with the computer gave chase. The robber fired one shot, but the victim kept chasing him. Dawn and I ducked behind a car. Then the robber fired a second time as they turned the corner and this bullet broke the femur of the man doing the chasing. I went down the hill to help him. Several people came out on the street and someone called an ambulance. About 20 minutes later the ambulance came with only one Paramedic! So, I rode in the back of the ambulance to the hospital to help in any way I could. I held his leg still so it would not roll back and forth as we went around turns and hit bumps in the road.

While in the ambulance, I witnessed to the victim, who was not a Christian, and prayed for him. Only after I returned home did I get a little scared and shaky. We put our faith in the Lord and pray Psalm 91's protection for our family everyday. I thank God that the Holy Spirit warned Dawn today!

3 comments:

  1. Wow. Thanks for sharing this story. It is so good to be his children, to know his voice and to be able to walk forward in confidence because of the strength that he gives us. God is so good!

    Que dios les bendiga!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so thenkful you guys were not hurt. I pray this man that was shot takes the time to really think about the words of life you gave him and softens his heart to the gospel of Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness guys...stepping up my prayers for you guys BIG TIME!!!!!

    ReplyDelete