Wednesday, September 3, 2008

La o el??

Okay, this is my first lesson in Spanish--la or el. Everything has gender--some things have two different words to describe them, so they have both masculine and feminine forms. It is confusing. The Spanish language overall, however, has fewer exceptions to its rules than English--that's a good thing and gives me hope for the future in these early days of language school.

Our orientation went great--we had excellent talks to get us mentally, spiritually, and emotionally prepared for this first step of missionary life.

Last week in my interview with the academic director, I received one of the best pieces of advice that I have gotten thus far. I am positive God knew just what I needed to hear. . .or be reminded of at this time.

This very smart and intuitive lady asked me a few questions (enough to know I'm a beginner at Espanol!) then put her papers aside and said that she wanted me to remember a couple of things this year. One is that I am a wife and a mom first and foremost. Second is that the American culture is very competitive and that I must remember always what culture I come from, and to try very hard not to compete with anyone other than myself. (Ticos do not like competition at all). Although she didn't say it this way, I think her point was that if "mama's not happy, noone's happy." : ) How true--and something I will take to heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment