Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Best Cup of Coffee Part 3

I just wanted to put in my two cents worth. What a great day to go to the mountains looking for places to bring teams. We encountered a family that Dawn describes in the last blog. They were extremely poor. Their clothes were torn and dirty. Their houses made out of decaying adobe mud. Yet they were full of smiles and appeared to be very happy. However there was one sister who was not happy. The brothers asked me repeatedly about their sister who is suffering with depression. It was obvious they love her very much.

One of the brothers brought me his 3 year old son to check who has had a fever and diarrhea for 8 days. (In the future I will always take my stethoscope and otoscope.) Then they wanted me to check another son who was sick with the same illness--probably due to bad water. I promised to return in two days with antibiotics for the two sick children and worm pills for all the children.

So they offered us a cup of coffee and I knew it would be an insult to refuse it. Many of you know that because of ventricular tackycardia I had a cardiac ablation in May of '08 and caffiene is forbidden. I just prayed that the LORD would protect my heart and then proceeded to enjoy the best cup of coffee I have ever had. Let me tell you that until you have had a cup of coffee where the beans are grown, picked, roasted, ground, and brewed at the same little farm that you really have not had a great cup of coffee. You may think you have but you have not.

Out of their poverty they went and cut us two stalks of bananas. Each stalk probably has about 100 bananas. I felt guilty taking them but again to refuse would insult this generous family. Well the Lord is good and I did not have any palpitations after drinking the coffee. Below are some pictures of their beautiful mountain.


The beautiful mountainside!!!



Dawn and me with our Honduran chuch deacon and guide--Rigo. Four different brothers tried to take this picture before one was able. Apparently they have never used a camara before!



Dawn on the mountainside.



Six brothers working in a tomatoe field.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your coffee moment. Inspiring. I work in more urban areas now. But I used to live and work in the countryside of Mexico, and I often downed a cup of soup or something else when I really would have rather taken a pass. Some of my best meals were with poor people who shared with me out of their poverty.

    ReplyDelete