Monday, June 8, 2009

Church

We went to church Sunday morning and I had a mini-breakthough. I actually understood the points that the pastor made in his sermon-all in Spanish of course. I did not understand everything he said but I understood enough to comprehend the main points of his sermon.

No big deal you think but let me explain something. The hispanic services are usually 2-2 & 1/2 hours long. They can occasionally go for 3 hours. Normally when the service begins, the congregation stands and sings for one hour. Then the pastor will get up and preach for 50-60 minutes. So he preaches as long as most American services last in total. To sit through 2-3 hours of singing and preaching where you do not understand the songs or the sermon can become dreary. So now that I understand the words to the songs we sing and I was able to follow the main points of his message is a big thrill indeed!

Posted by Tully

No comments:

Post a Comment