Monday, March 23, 2009

Introducing Talí y Alba



When we first got here, we quicly realized how difficult our names are to pronounce in Spanish.  Our teachers try very hard to get our names right, but they are just like we are in Spanish, sometimes their mouths can't make the words in English without much effort. And not just the teachers, but we had this problem everywhere we went. Many of the locals think my English name is "Don," which is "Mister" in English. They wondered why I was called "Mister." : )

And Tully. The "u" sound that we say for his name does not exist in Spanish. They would say "Too-ly." The slash over Tully's name is called a "tilde." It is very important as it tells where to put the accent.

So, allow me to introduce our Spanish selves: Alba and Talí. These names work great. One of my maestras gave me the name Alba, because it is the translation for "dawn" in Spanish. Now even some of my English speaking friends call me that. And Talí sounds very close to Tully in rapid Spanish. Our tutor gave him the name and said it's a very old Spanish name.

So it's easy to introduce ourselves now.

No comments:

Post a Comment