Sunday, April 27, 2008

80% of Monthly Support Goal Reached!

First of all, I am so pleased to say that, on our monthly support pledges, we have reached 80%! AMAZING! We are once again humbled by God's provision. Only, three short weeks ago we were announcing that we had reached 66%. We have almost half of our start up costs.

This past week, I have been in contact with the language school that we will attend in Costa Rica. We will be there for one year while we master the language. Ha! Or, actually, while our kids master the language. : ) Missionaries have told us that Tully and I will definitely be able to speak and understand the language when we leave language school, but we will probably sound (in Spanish) more like elementary school children rather than college educated adults. Present and past tense, future tense, sure, but it will take living in the culture and speaking it all the time to really develop and be comfortable with the different tenses. Since hearing that, I have become much more aware of all of the different tenses we use in everyday conversation. YIKES!! These same missionaries have told us that the best things for learning a language are a big sense of humor and a small sense of self. Sounds like great advice to me--now if I can just remember that when the going gets tough in language school. . .

Anyway, each year at this time, I plan out our school year for the next year--not lesson plans, but what subject/curriculum for each child and what activities each will participate in. I also order all of the books we will need--it's one of my favorite things to do.

This year--what do I do?? If we start language school in August, do I order books or use the ones the school down there provides for the children? And if we start in January, how do we mesh half of a year of what I want the children to do with half of a year of what the teachers will teach them in language school?

When I contacted the language school, the principal assured me that they are accustomed to working with children who come from homeschool, public school, and private school backgrounds. At the time we register, we will work on determining what exactly they will need in the way of classes and books, and if we start language school in January, we can send their current books and lesson plans with them. Hallelujah! One thing crossed off of the list that floats around in my mind! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment